Author Topic: Lands of Lore 3  (Read 364 times)

Angry Bob

Lands of Lore 3
« on: December 24, 2015, 04:17:14 AM »
I attempt to download the wrapper with the porting kit and every time I try, it tells me the file is corrupted and prompts me to download again. I download again and the process repeats.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: Lands of Lore 3
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 12:03:33 PM »
I attempt to download the wrapper with the porting kit and every time I try, it tells me the file is corrupted and prompts me to download again. I download again and the process repeats.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello Bob,

I'm not sure why this is happening to you, but probably your download is finishing before PK could determine the size of the file that it were downloading. I've just  uploaded a new version (1.8.66) which should fix that. Update Porting Kit and try again.

Angry Bob

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »
Hello, thanks for the quick response.

I updated porting kit and tried to download it again. Same issue, it says the wrapper is corrupt. One thing I noticed this time is that my Avast keeps detecting a virus with the wrapper and does something, which I think is what is causing the wrapper to fail. I uninstalled Avast to see if that was the problem and sure enough, it works now. Iíll reinstall Avast later.

Thanks.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »
Hello, thanks for the quick response.

I updated porting kit and tried to download it again. Same issue, it says the wrapper is corrupt. One thing I noticed this time is that my Avast keeps detecting a virus with the wrapper and does something, which I think is what is causing the wrapper to fail. I uninstalled Avast to see if that was the problem and sure enough, it works now. Iíll reinstall Avast later.

Thanks.

That's really strange, but I think I heard something about it in the past on the Wineskin community; an Avast false alarm on a Wine component I think. Would you remember which file exactly caused the problem with Avast?

Angry Bob

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 12:55:18 AM »
/Applications/Games.localized/Lands of Lore 3.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib/wine/fakedlls/taskschd.dll

This is what Avast keeps claiming is a virus. I uninstalled Avast and played the game just fine. Now that itís (Avast) reinstalled, it gives me the same grief. I really donít want to uninstall Avast. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks for your hard work!

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 01:53:36 PM »
I've researched in the Wineskin Community and found a topic talking about that:
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=1&comments_parentId=6361

Has I tough, that's an old problem. Some of the new engines are recognized has Suspect by Avast, as you can see by the name, Win32: Evo-gen Susp. The fact is: some of Wine Engines files are false positives. There is nothing we can do to fix the wrappers since that would require to change Wine itself.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »
You have three options:

1- (Easy and will probably work) Add the file to the ignored list of Avast (it probably has something like that, an exceptions list)

2- (Medium and may not work) Move the taskschd.dll file to your Desktop and try to open the port. If it works normally, trash the file. If it doesn't, put the file back and try the options 1 or 3.

3- (Easy, but probably undesirable) Use a different antivirus until that problem gets solved in Avast. In some weeks (maybe months) it shouldn't be recognized as a false positive anymore.