Author Topic: C&C Red Alert 2 is hiding from me :-)  (Read 579 times)

Offline Yuri

C&C Red Alert 2 is hiding from me :-)
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:07:16 AM »
Hello, and first of all congratulations - Porting Kit rocks. You folks have really rescued my view of the Open Source community here. I have enjoyed revisiting Civ2 for a couple of days and feel like I am young again ;-) And no hassles whatsoever during install or play, seamless. Well done!

So I thought I move through my misspent youth and have a bash at Red Alert 2. Got your files, mounted the disk image, and despite all of the warnings about serial number input being a drag, in fact it installed swimmingly, and I typed in the serial etc.

When it was finished, I had the option to start play, and chose it, and then a box popped up, wanted to know where to find the .exe.
At this moment I was a little impatient. After all, it was already pre-filled with a reasonable-looking string. So I clicked ok.
While I clicked ok, I glimpsed that the dialog box actually said it could not find the .exe to run the software where it would normally look for it.
Ah well, let's restart the port wrapper and rectify this mistake, eh? No do, now whenever I double click he port wrapper icon, it does it's little animation to tell me it's working on it -and that's all. I can repeat it. Nothing.

So there's several questions:

1) Any idea how I can get the chance to rectify this problem?
2) If I can't fix it, and I want to do the process again, would I simply drag the wrapper to the recycling bin and it uninstalls the game from it's C:\ drive too?
3) Is there some kind of admin tool for Porting Kit that shows which programmes are installed on this machine, and perhaps offer some tweaks?

Thanks a lot!
Yuri

Offline 112madgamer

• WSI Developer
  • Global Moderator
  • Journeyman Porter
Re: C&C Red Alert 2 is hiding from me :-)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »
Hello Glad to see that you love PK  :) :)

Okay you are using the disc version of C&C Red Alert 2 right?.

Well number 1. Lets try deleting C&C Red Alert 2 and reinstalling it this can be done by Library in PK Right click on C&C Red Alert 2 and remove then empty your trash this will remove the game from your mac  then simply redownload the game but when it says start game at the end of the installer click quit then try running the game

Number 2 if 1 fails. You can select your own exe path for the game this may fix it simple to the C&C Red Alert 2 file in your applications folder or wherever you chose to download it and Right Click it Then Show package contents you will see a Wineskin.app open it Then Click advanced there will be a option called "Windows EXE" Click browse then choose the folder were the EXE is and search for the EXE to run the game the EXE to run Red Alert2 is called Ra2.exe if you want to play the Yuri's revenge DLC then choose YURI.exe then simply click okay and click test run to see if it worked, if it did then close it all and run it through PK

The original path that the wrapper search's for is "/Program Files/EA Games/Command & Conquer The First Decade/Launcher/TFDLauncher.exe" This maybe different for you since it is a disk game

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
Answering Question 3: When you open the Library tab, there are two inner tabs: Local and Server. Local shows which ones are inside your machine, the Server shows which ones are available for download. Usually, the Local tab add every app that you finish the installation and the ones that were in your Applications folder when you first launched Porting Kit. You can reset the Local list in Porting Kit -> Preferences choosing where it should look for ports (it will only add ports). You can add common games/apps using the 'Add Application' button that appears when you are in the Local tab.

Addition for answer 2: yes, you can simply drag the wrapper to the recycling bin and it will uninstall it, like any other Mac app. However, it won't remove it from the local tab, giving you a warning; that's why 112madgamer recommended you to remove it throw there.

Offline Yuri

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 04:32:14 PM »
Thank you both, fantastic!

With your help I opened my eyes and yes,mof course, the Library tab is what I was looking for.
I did remove the install and tried again. With the "advanced" features of the PK I then discovered that the error message might be misleading. The log shows that the hang up is actually a missing winsock32.dll, after which the startup process crashes out.

Now I admit that I habitually untick all boxes that are not needed and so I did not pick the Westwood online stuff during the installation process. Is that the problem perhaps?

I will try again and report back.

-----------

Have now re-installed with the network components, but no luck. Could this be because the "first decade" edition was modernised? I might have to go and buy more games than I need, just to relieve my student days... Unless there is a trick to thread the missing dll in somehow?

Thanks a lot for your time!
Yuri
Thanks a lot!
Yuri
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:12:26 PM by Yuri »

Offline 112madgamer

• WSI Developer
  • Global Moderator
  • Journeyman Porter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 01:52:31 AM »
oohh i had this same error when i installed C&C Red Alert 2 here www.moddb.com/games/cc-red-alert-2/downloads/ra2yr-lan-fix-xp-vista-w7-x86-x64 this is just a simple patch to fix the lan error this happens to every disc version place this in the game dir and it should work fine

Offline Yuri

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 08:09:21 AM »
Yeeehah!

Thanks, folks!
Perhaps worth adding this hint to the notes for the PK of this game?

Good stuff :-)
Yuri

Offline 112madgamer

• WSI Developer
  • Global Moderator
  • Journeyman Porter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »
Awesome it worked. Since i did not add this port i can't change it but i will ask Paul to add it to the description

Offline 112madgamer

• WSI Developer
  • Global Moderator
  • Journeyman Porter
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 11:00:09 AM »
This Topic has been solved and is now locked