Author Topic: Steam ports temporarily unfunctional  (Read 475 times)

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Steam ports temporarily unfunctional
« on: July 13, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »
Valve just released a new update for Steam, and its latest version has stopped working in Wine. The WineHQ community is working on a patch to fix the issue:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43315

In the meanwhile, if you have a working Steam port, DONíT ALLOW IT TO UPDATE. Once the port starts the update download, press Cancel and then launch the port again. It should run without downloading the update. If it tries to download the update again, cancel it and wait until we have a fix for the problem, or turn-off your Wi-Fi (or unplug your ethernet port if thatís the case) while playing the game.

If you let Steam update, there is a fix available implanted in Wine Staging 2.12 which addresses the issue. You can change the port engine to that one and see if it works. If you want to install a Steam port, Paul will update some game ports with the engine, which will also update the game port itself.

Since we gonna take a while updating the Steam ports to use the latest Staging engine, Iíll explain for those who prefer not to wait: how to install any of our Steam ports with Wine Staging 2.12:

1. Firstly, you need to update the Porting Kit to the latest version (at the moment itís 2.6.127, but in case you are seeing that in the future, it may be any superior version as well).
2. Now open the description of the game that you want to install and press More -> Advanced installation. A process very similar to the normal installation will start, but in the end you gonna see a dialog with options for chaging some of the installation parameters (engine, DRM clients and X11/MacDriver).
3. Change the engine to WS9WineStaging2.12 and press Ok. That should install the port using that engine instead.

There is no warranty that this is going to work for any of the Steam games, but itís the best try until we can update them all. Age of Empires II HD is the only Steam port updated so far to use the Wine Staging 2.12 engine.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:12:17 PM by paulthetall »

Offline Vinqk

• Maybe tomorrow...
Re: Steam ports temporarily unfunctional
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:14:01 PM »
I just tested the temporary fix using the Advanced install for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and I am happy to say it worked!  :D
Keep up the good work guys!

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 01:35:06 AM »
I just tested the temporary fix using the Advanced install for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and I am happy to say it worked!  :D

Thanks for the warning! I should update Skyrim tomorrow so it won't need the fix to work :)

Keep up the good work guys!

Hehe, thanks again! :D

Offline Vinqk

• Maybe tomorrow...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
Haha, right after I installed it. Anyways thanks for the response. So, you plan to update it today?

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »
Haha, right after I installed it. Anyways thanks for the response. So, you plan to update it today?

Yup, that's what I'm planning :)

Offline Vinqk

• Maybe tomorrow...
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:54:54 PM »
I just noticed that Skyrim says New on it. Does that mean itís done?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:03:17 PM by Vinqk »

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 09:11:43 PM »
I just noticed that Skyrim says New on it. Does that mean itís done?

I've just uploaded the version with WS9WineStaging2.12 as the engine. Has you may have noticed, this is the only thing needed to make the game run. So yeah, Skyrim is working again, and the "Advanced Installation" fix isn't needed for it anymore :)

I'm going to test Oblivion now.

Offline Vinqk

• Maybe tomorrow...
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:18:28 PM »
Awesome! Thank you so much man! :D

Offline 5-WES

• Wearing the SWT C6 livery. And proud of it!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 08:46:48 PM »
Too late for not updating, it didn't even ask. When I started a Steam wrapper, it automatically updated, and I didn't know about the consequences the update has.
I hope this issue will get fixed soon!  :-\
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:49:11 PM by 5-WES »

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 02:17:55 AM »
Too late for not updating, it didn't even ask. When I started a Steam wrapper, it automatically updated, and I didn't know about the consequences the update has.
I hope this issue will get fixed soon!  :-\

Keep checking the ports that you accidentally updated in the server tab until they have the "NEW" tag. That means we updated them recently, so they are already using an engine compatible with the Steam update ;)

Just in case, which Steam games you had installed?

Offline 5-WES

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 08:02:59 AM »
I'll do that, thanks!
These are the Steam games I have installed (and that have already updated):
ē Train Simulator 2016
ē SPINTIRES (Paul the Tall said that I should install it over the Sonic CD wrapper, so that's what I did)
Only one Steam game hasn't updated yet, and that's DuckTales - Remastered.
Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:06:44 AM by 5-WES »

Offline jonobri

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »
I'm really keen to start playing Dawn of War Master Collection againódo you guys know if any of the updated wrappers will be compatible with it yet, or will I need to wait this one out? Thanks!

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 07:04:22 PM »
I'm really keen to start playing Dawn of War Master Collection againódo you guys know if any of the updated wrappers will be compatible with it yet, or will I need to wait this one out? Thanks!

The best is either waiting for its port update or installing it with one of the compatible engines yourself using the Advanced Installation method (which might work or not). At the moment we have three Steam-compatible engines:
- WS9Wine2.6Steam
- WS9Wine2.12Steam
- WS9WineStaging2.12

Thanks to Brainzyy for that :)

Offline 5-WES

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 07:14:13 PM »
 Thanks, but I think I'll just wait for the wrappers to be updated, I have no idea how this Advanced Installation method works.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:45:09 PM by 5-WES »

Offline paulthetall

• Administrator
  • Journeyman Porter
    • paulthetall.com / Portingkit.com
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
Ok, all wrappers are updated! Check also this post: : https://www.paulthetall.com/steam-games-fixed/

Thanks for the waiting and sorry for the inconvenience!