Author Topic: Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships - keybinding issue  (Read 36 times)

Offline zauberberg

Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships - keybinding issue
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:27:28 AM »
Hey, this game seems to work pretty well despite occasionally crashing during the sea portion.

There is one problem that seems to make the game unplayable though. The accelerate time function in the game is bound what would be the "+" key on a windows keyboard. The in-game key-binding function won't let you touch this key - it's like it's permanently bound to a key that's not there. It won't respond to the "+" on the Mac keyboard, which is accessed by pressing Shift first. I haven't been able to solve this problem by my personal tinkering with the config files either, but I'm no genius.

The accelerate function basically makes it so things take a reasonable time versus being impossibly slow. It's basically make or break for the game.

Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone else gotten this game to work properly? I'm also using the ERAS 2.0 mod, which is a standard and massive improvement to the original game, but that seems to be a non-issue regarding this.

I appreciate any help with getting this fully working on Mac.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships - keybinding issue
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 01:52:56 AM »
Try this: open the Terminal, type 'cd ' (with the space) and then drag your port from Finder and drop it in the terminal.

Press Enter, and then use that command:

Code: [Select]
echo "keycode 32 = KP_Add" > Contents/Frameworks/.Xmodmap
Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships uses WineskinX11, so Xmodmap can be used. I've made that command based in the page below; it should remap the '+=' button to the keypad '=' while the game is opened.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1228132?start=0&tstart=0

Hope it works :)

Offline zauberberg

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:33:34 AM »
You are an absolute wizard, sir. I didn't expect something to work just like that. And the game didn't crash this time around.

My many thanks vitormm.

Offline zauberberg

Re: Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships - keybinding issue & graphics
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 03:15:14 AM »
Ah, there is another unrelated issue I didn't realize until now. I'm unsure whether it's connected to Wine.

At evening and nighttime in game, all the buildings and outdoor environments look like they're still in sunlight. Only characters, ships, and water are responding to nighttime lighting conditions. I wanted to mess with the config file, but I can't open it through the current Wine setup.

Any idea what could be at play?

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships - keybinding issue & graphics
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 03:18:01 AM »
I wanted to mess with the config file, but I can't open it through the current Wine setup.

Where that config file would usually be on Windows?

Offline zauberberg

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 04:16:41 AM »
The config file is just in the main Sea Dogs folder along with the game launcher. But I can't open it through the Wine version provided in portingkit port. Maybe I should just try a different version of Wine. I don't even know if the config file will have much to play with.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 12:48:22 PM »
The config file is just in the main Sea Dogs folder along with the game launcher. But I can't open it through the Wine version provided in portingkit port. Maybe I should just try a different version of Wine. I don't even know if the config file will have much to play with.

Right-click the port in PK and press "Open C: drive" ;)

Offline zauberberg

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »
That surely is handy, but what I meant is that the config file itself won't open. I'll experiment with a few things and follow up here once I find anything out.

Offline zauberberg

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 10:13:43 PM »
I just wanted to follow up with this.

The lighting/graphics issues with the game are from the mod and have been resolved. And the mod is actually a standalone version that shouldn't be installed over the original game. To get the mod to work I basically just switched out the original game files in the portingkit port with the mods files.

But I wouldn't have got things running properly without your help with the keybinding issue, so thanks again.