Author Topic: Supreme Commander (Solved)  (Read 1079 times)

Offline willbrowne81

Supreme Commander (Solved)
« on: July 26, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »
Hi , all

First time post for me, i have been using Porting kit to run supreme commander and i have been having some issues with the game freezeing. this typically happens when there is massive troop movement.

anyone got any thoughts?

Intel Iris, Intel I5 8gb Ram SSD

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:16:02 AM by paulthetall »

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: Supreme Commander
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
Hi , all

First time post for me, i have been using Porting kit to run supreme commander and i have been having some issues with the game freezeing. this typically happens when there is massive troop movement.

anyone got any thoughts?

Intel Iris, Intel I5 8gb Ram SSD

Maybe your graphic card isn't handling it. I also have Intel Iris and I know that it doesn't work perfectly all the time with some games.

William browne

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 05:42:58 PM »
Hmmm maybe so. Seems a bit odd one second it works and the next the game locks up.

Anyone any ideas

Offline willbrowne81

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:22:12 AM »
Dam Its still crashing after about an hours play.

my mac book isnt really egtting that warm.

anyone have any posible solutions?

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »

Did you tried to reduced the graphic configuration of the game? I haven't seeing it, but it might have some Configurations/Options button in the menu where you can do it, doesn't it?

Offline dirtyharry50

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 09:26:47 PM »

Google for WineHQ. Once there, click on the tab along the top labeled "AppDB" which is the Wine app database where you can do a search for any game and very many will turn up including this one. It is always good to check here for any known issues and workarounds. I do this whenever I port something before I even start since odds are somebody else has already run into whatever issues may exist and fixed them or noted bugs in Wine or whatever. Hopefully you will find something helpful there.

The only other thing I can think of is to check system requirements in Windows but then give consideration to the fact they are probably higher most of the time in OS X with Wine by some degree. As suggested above, reducing settings might help eliminate the crashing. I've often found that helpful just in general with games.

Just as a general rule and depending on what the game offers for settings I'd be looking for stuff like AA and shadows as ones that tax the GPU. It seems like more often than not if a settings change is going to help at least in my own experience, turning off AA and reducing resolution are the big ones for crashing issues. I'd try turning off AA first, then reducing resolution only if other eye candy reductions were not helping.

Hope some part of the above winds up being helpful.

Offline 112madgamer

• WSI Developer
  • Global Moderator
  • Journeyman Porter
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 03:41:24 AM »
Has this been solved?

William Browne

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 08:24:57 PM »
Just checked Wine HQ

the following appears

Additional Comments
The game doesn't like 64-bit wine prefixes - install it in a 32-bit prefix.

If you get a black screen at game startup, add the following to $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/users//Local Settings/Application Data/Gas Powered Games/SupremeCommander/Game.prefs inside 'options_overrides section':

bloom_render = {
    default = 0
}

If game rendering seems to get stuck on the first frame, set the 'fidelity' setting to medium or lower.

not sure what 64 bit is…..

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »
Just checked Wine HQ

the following appears

Additional Comments
The game doesn't like 64-bit wine prefixes - install it in a 32-bit prefix.

not sure what 64 bit is…..

That's about the system/processor architecture. Just ignore it, since Wineskin only has 32-bit prefixes.

If you get a black screen at game startup, add the following to $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/users//Local Settings/Application Data/Gas Powered Games/SupremeCommander/Game.prefs inside 'options_overrides section':

bloom_render = {
    default = 0
}

If game rendering seems to get stuck on the first frame, set the 'fidelity' setting to medium or lower.

Now this is something that users who has that problem can try.

Offline SharkBear

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 10:26:32 PM »
Hi, first time using porting-kit and I am having some trouble. I have followed instructions as best I can, including the notes for Supreme Commander:

"Notes:
After installation Launch the game once, where you will notice black screen with blue cursor. Then end the game by doing “cmd + alt + esc”. Then go to you application folder and right-cicl the Supreme Commander Wrapper —> show package content —>  navigate to: drive_c/users/Wineskin/Local Settings/Application Data/Gas Powered Games/SupremeCommander, and there replace the text of the game.prefs with this one.
Now launch the game again and black screen should be fixed."

I launched the game, encountered the black screen, and eventually the blue cursor, with sound. But for the life of me I cannot locate the folder detailed in the notes above to change the game.prefs. When i reach drive_c/users/Wineskin/Local Settings/Application Data/ there is only one folder; Windows. There is no folder called GasPoweredGames. I have tried revealing hidden folders using Terminal, and no amount of searching can find it. Is there a reason why this folder may not be found?

I am running El Capitan 10.11.4, if that helps.

Offline paulthetall

• Administrator
  • Expert Porter
    • paulthetall.com / Portingkit.com
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 06:50:28 AM »
There is only one requirement to see the folder, and thats that you started the game once. Then the folder should be have created. What I can amagine, is that you forgot to go to the “Local settings” folder, because in the wineskin folder there is also an “Application folder” which only contains the folder “Microsoft”. So check carefully the path.

Check image below:

Offline SharkBear

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 07:32:14 AM »
Thanks for your help. I have checked this path precisely and the folder is still missing. See screen:

gif upload

Forgive me if I'm being dense.

Offline SharkBear

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 05:36:51 PM »
I was indeed being dense. The eventual folder location was:

MacintoshHD/Applications/Games.localized/Supreme Commander.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/users/Wineskin/Local Settings/Application Data/Gas Powered Games/SupremeCommander

I had not found the "Games" folder in applications. This isn't specified in the notes for the game in PortingKit, but was in your post above. I replaced the .prefs file with the one in the notes and the game starts fine.

Thanks for your help.