Author Topic: Mono & gecko issue.... Installed by mistake. How to remove?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline SirGameALot

• Gamer
I missed the prompt to cancel mono and gecko during wine install. My screen is small and the message was covered. This was my first wrap and I'm not sure if I have done something rally wrong. Is that bad? How can I remove?

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: Mono & gecko issue.... Installed by mistake. How to remove?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »
I missed the prompt to cancel mono and gecko during wine install. My screen is small and the message was covered. This was my first wrap and I'm not sure if I have done something rally wrong. Is that bad? How can I remove?

You can simply remove the wrapper and create it again. Don't worry, we just tell to do not install Gecko and Mono because they waste unnecessary space, there is nothing to really worry about them.

Offline SirGameALot

• Gamer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 09:57:48 PM »
Ok I did that and the next time I installed that game I was not asked to install them again so I assumed they were stored on my Mac somewhere else.. So they are put in the wrapper.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 03:56:56 AM »
Ok I did that and the next time I installed that game I was not asked to install them again so I assumed they were stored on my Mac somewhere else.. So they are put in the wrapper.

I think I heard something related to that. I will in PK a feature to remove that folder, but need to know exactly where it is. Probably it's inside the ~/.wine/ folder, however removing the whole folder would be a radical solution. It should be somewhere inside it.

Offline SirGameALot

• Gamer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:20:17 AM »
Ok. so I think I understood that to meet you are going to add a feature that will allow users to remove the mono and gecko files or logs or what ever is left behind when they are installed by mistake. That would be great. ;)

Offline SirGameALot

• Gamer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:39:19 AM »
Could you tell me what mono ang gecko are meant to do. I know they are downloaded by wine so I assume they help the some how. 

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 03:17:22 PM »
Gecko is Wine equivalent to Internet Explorer 6. It's based on Firefox source code, however it's much more simple. Installing it will make URLs opening inside your port in an Internet Explorer like window instead of opening with your own browser, however some people desire that... the point of Gecko is that Windows was build above Internet Explorer, and in the same way Wine was build above Gecko, to keep the compatibility with apps that need internet access.

Mono is Wine equivalent to .NET. It was build to be faster than installing .NET on Wine, however it still isn't as good as .NET installed throw winetricks (I still haven't seen any working port using Mono instead of .NET).

Offline SirGameALot

• Gamer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:47:25 PM »
Ok that is good to know so they are never really needed. How are normal wrappers able to comunicate to the internet if I don't instal gecko. Or do they not? I would imagine wraps that use steam, origin or uplay use the .net you talked about but do I ever really need to use gecko to allow a game to use urls?

Do I every need to be concerned about dangerous files getting onto my Mac using PK to port games? 

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:01:49 PM by SirGameALot »

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »
Ok that is good to know so they are never really needed. How are normal wrappers able to comunicate to the internet if I don't instal gecko. Or do they not? I would imagine wraps that use steam, origin or uplay use the .net you talked about but do I ever really need to use gecko to allow a game to use urls?

Gecko is a browser and is used to open URLs in that way. It isn't needed to perform URL requests :)

Do I every need to be concerned about dangerous files getting onto my Mac using PK to port games?

If you only install games throw the Porting Kit library, not. Every port in PK library was tested by our team, so all of them are 100% clean ;) We just can't warranty that a WSI downloaded from somewhere else on the web will be safe.

Offline SirGameALot

• Gamer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 05:53:43 PM »
Ok cool brilliant.

I know this is the wrong place to ask but I placed a request about banished and Anno 2070 in the requests section but no answers as yet.

I need help installing banished through steam. And Anno from disc.

With banished on steam I was going to try a normal steam wrap but I was not sure how to deal with the DRM (at least I think it has DRM) it is a cheep game so if it is just easier to get it from GOG I will and get the Mac version later when it is released. but for Anno I have a the disk. And don't want two windows copies so would love advice on how to wrap it.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »
I know this is the wrong place to ask but I placed a request about banished and Anno 2070 in the requests section but no answers as yet.

Sorry about that. I will answer you there ;)