Author Topic: Spore  (Read 204 times)

Offline genefinder

Spore
« on: September 11, 2016, 02:37:02 PM »
I have seen discussions on the internet about this, but havenít found a solution that has worked for me.

I installed Spore via Porting Kit which opens Steam, and installs. But when I click Play on Spore via Porting Kit interface, it again asks me to log in to Steam, then I click Play there as well, and it starts an installation of Microsoft Directx. The window displaying the install of DirectX then disappears after a few seconds and nothing else happens.

Any help you can offer woukld be greatly appreciated.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: Spore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 12:49:44 PM »
I installed Spore via Porting Kit which opens Steam, and installs. But when I click Play on Spore via Porting Kit interface, it again asks me to log in to Steam, then I click Play there as well, and it starts an installation of Microsoft Directx.

The SPORE port, just like all the Steam ports, have its own Steam installation inside, which means that it needs to login before running/installing the game. In case your port was closed when you pressed Play, that's pretty normal.

The window displaying the install of DirectX then disappears after a few seconds and nothing else happens.

Now that may be a bug. Which is your OS X version?

Offline genefinder

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 03:44:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply. My OS is El Capitan 10.11.6.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply. My OS is El Capitan 10.11.6.

Could you please perform a Debug in the port? In order to do it, restart your computer (just to be sure that there is absolutely nothing related with the port running), open PK, right click the game in the local library and press Debug (keep PK opened). After that the port will launch, then try to run the game like you did before, by pressing Play in the Steam library.

Wait for about a minute, and if the game doesn't open do that: open the PK window, right click the game and press Force Close. The port will close completely, and PK will offer you to read the Debug logs. Accept it, then upload the logs here, in that post.

Offline genefinder

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 10:50:11 PM »
Here are the two log files it generated.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
Here are the two log files it generated.

It seems to be related with Steam's ingame overlay. Could you please disable it and then try again?

That video explains how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3u8_dwfUVY

Offline genefinder

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 12:21:43 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but it didnít work. I changed the setting as described, restarted, no luck. Went back to check that the new setting remained, and it had.

Should I debug again?

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but it didnít work. I changed the setting as described, restarted, no luck. Went back to check that the new setting remained, and it had.

Should I debug again?

Could you please Debug with Steam's ingame overlay disabled?

Offline genefinder

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 11:29:33 PM »
Two new debug files are attached. The program dies at the same step, installing Microsoft DirectX.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
Two new debug files are attached. The program dies at the same step, installing Microsoft DirectX.

According to the log it's still running. Maybe that Steam option only disable it, but it keeps launching.

Try that:
1. Right click the game in PK and press Wineskin Tools -> Wine Configuration
2. In the Libraries tab, add "gameoverlayrenderer" (no quotes)
3. Select "gameoverlayrenderer" in the list, press "Edit", select "Disable" and then confirm
4. Close the Wine Configuration window and try to run the port again

Offline genefinder

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 12:33:24 AM »
That worked like a charm. The game loads fine, and plays great. Thanks for all of the help.