Author Topic: Jade Empire won't play  (Read 389 times)

Offline Caesar0587

Jade Empire won't play
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »
I decided to buy the GOG version of Jade Empire because the previous wineskin version I had made using the CD version stopped working with Sierra.  However, no matter what I do it never goes beyond the blue screen with the game icon in the top right corner before going black and then back to my desktop. 

Any ideas on how to solve this?

I can't find the crash log, however I did do a test run and it resulted in the messages attached below. 

Edit to add: I've tried removing it all and installing it from nothing, but now instead of doing the blue screen it just has a black screen before quitting (no error reports or anything).  Further, I can only get it to do that if I go to screen settings and choose the override option.  I've tried turning various options on and off to try to get it to work and nothing has succeed.  I am currently attempting to install the files into the existing wineskin, as I'm not sure what else to try.  It's hard to tell what could be wrong since the instructions said that there were going to be errors, such as saying DirectX9 had failed to install, etc.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:02:02 AM by Caesar0587 »

Offline Caesar0587

Re: Jade Empire won't play
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 06:48:07 AM »
So I downloaded the wrapper found at the following link: http://paulthetall.com/jade-empire-mac/ (I noticed that the various wrappers from this site seem to have that name on them).  I was able to install it without any glitches whatsoever.  However, whenever I try to start the game it just bounces in the dock once and then does nothing.  Further, almost all of my test runs end up going on forever to the point where I have to force quit.  I did manage to get some test logs, which I have attached below.

I very much hope someone can help me with the problems I am having with this game.

Edit: After numerous attempts I have given up for the time being.  I have deleted the files on my computer (I have back ups for later attempts) so that when and if someone here has a solution I can start from scratch. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:35:11 PM by Caesar0587 »

Offline Caesar0587

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 01:54:49 AM »
Good news.  I solved the problem by updating both the version and engine to the latest version.  It now plays. 

Offline paulthetall

• Administrator
  • Expert Porter
    • paulthetall.com / Portingkit.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »
You better had downloaded the game using portingkit without downloading the wrapper. The Paulthetall.com wrapper version is way outdated. The Portingkit version is up to date.

Offline Caesar0587

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 12:58:44 PM »
Thank you.  I had tried both methods but something must have gotten interrupted (or I got too impatient with it) the porting kit version that caused problems.  After creating my own fresh wrapper the game starts up now.

Edit: The wrapper version I'm using is Wineskin Wrapper 2.6.2 using Engine WS9Wine1.9.15
Screen settings are as follows:
Wine control of screen settings is set to automatic.
Under other options the following are checked: Use Mac Driver instead of X11, Decorate Windows, Auto Detect GPU info for Direct3D, and Use Direct 3D Boost (if available).

Other options set are:
Map User Mac OS X folders in wrapper
Force use of wrappers in quartz-wm for window decorations and not what is on the system.

If I did anything wrong with this method, could you let me know? 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:29:24 PM by Caesar0587 »

Offline paulthetall

• Administrator
  • Expert Porter
    • paulthetall.com / Portingkit.com
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:00:35 PM »
I updated the Wine engine in Porting Kit, can you check if it works for you as well? Make sure you refresh the serverlist first before downloading. It should say "new"

Offline Caesar0587

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 08:31:04 PM »
If it's the version that I described above, it should work.  It can be quite time consuming to set up a new wrapper, and Sierra makes it very difficult to open some new files due to gatekeeper even when it's disabled.

Offline Caesar0587

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »
I tested the porting kit version that automatically installs using the GOG files, and it works fine.