Author Topic: C&C Generals  (Read 270 times)

Offline BenRay

C&C Generals
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:54:09 PM »
Dear Porting Kit developers,

i just tried installing Command & Conquer Generals using PortingKit v1.9.115 on Mac OS X 10.11.4 on a Macbook Pro Late 2013.

Origin downloads and installs. Then I log myself in on Origin and I am able to download Command Conquer Generals. Before downloading the game, i ensured that I have disabled the in-game overlay and also disabled "keep me games up to date". Then i click on download and the game downloads. The game reaches 99% downloaded, then it says "installing" and after ~10 seconds Origin completely crashes and a window is presented if i want to submit the crash report and/or reopen origin. If i reopen Origin, the game seems to have installed just fine. When i click on play, a small window is presented wether i want to start the vanilla game or zero hour. When I click on one (doesn't matter which) a small notice window pops up with the error message "Activation.dll load failed" and the game won't start.

Do you need any screenshots? Can someone also reproduce the problem?

Please look into this.
Many thanks in advance and keep the good work up!

EDIT:

I managed to get past the activation.dll error! I right clicked on the game and under launch options i ticked "disable ingame overlay" in ADDITION to unchecking the overlay in the origin preferences. I also unchecked every notification option in the origin prerefences, muted all voice-comm and so on.
in order to get zero hour to work, you first have to start vanilla generals. Only after that you can start zero hour, otherwise you will get the activation error.
please add these steps to the notes section of the game in porting kit. it may aid others in getting the game to start.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:47:39 PM by BenRay »

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Master Porter
Re: C&C Generals
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 12:13:23 PM »
Thanks Ben!  ;D

Let me see if I understood the steps correctly:
- If you get an Activation.dll error when launching Generals, right click the game and under Launch Options tick “Disable ingame overlay”.
- If you get an Activation.dll error when launching Zero Hour, start Generals, close it, and then try again.

Is that right?

Offline BenRay

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
Update: These errors are random. sometimes i get them. sometimes not. i haven't figured out a rule when they occur. trying to launch the game again usually helps.

ticking launch options and disabling ingame overlay helped. otherwise i was not able to run the game at all, but kept getting activation.dll errors

could you please look into the game. i am unable to launch the mod "zero hour enhanced"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:50:46 PM by BenRay »

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Master Porter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 09:41:56 PM »
could you please look into the game. i am unable to launch the mod "zero hour enhanced"

I will forward that to Paul, but it's hard to keep ports compatible with mods, specially with Origin ports; they are the hardest ports to create.