Author Topic: CrossOver: a question  (Read 30 times)

Offline Atecheka

• Gamer
CrossOver: a question
« on: February 10, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing CrossOver since PaulTheTall has recommended it many times, even on the PK website. However, I'd like to ask some info before doing the purchase.

Could you please tell me if CrossOver works with very recent games (that said, 2017-2019)? I mean, I'd like to buy Resident Evil 2 Remake and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and my intention is to run them on CrossOver. That said, would these games work with it?

Thanks a lot for your answer :)

Offline Franciscus

Re: CrossOver: a question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:02:31 PM »
Hello

I can only give you my opinion. Wineskin Winery (the "unofficial" version, that PortingKit uses) can do everything that Crossover does, in relation to games, and better. No real need (for me) for Crossover to play games, only apparently for certain specific productivity programs (that I do not use. For productivity I have everything that I need natively on Mac).

That being said, I purchased (again) a 1-year licence of Crossover to help WINE development (Crossover is the main source of WINE development)

YMMV, of course

Regards
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 06:44:48 PM by Franciscus »

Offline Atecheka

• Gamer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:24:50 PM »
Hi Franciscus,

Thanks a lot for your reply, very much appreciated.

The reason why Iím considering buying CrossOver is that I understood it automatically installs any game without doing any extra or additional actions (that said, you select any .exe file and CrossOver will take care of everything), while with Wineskin Winery youíll have to do that. Am I wrong? Being myself very bad with IT stuff, CrossOver seems to be the best option for me.

I remember trying to install PCSX2 with Wine and I had to find a guide on Youtube in order to find out how to do it and deal with all the options (engine, etc) I needed to select in order to install it; on the other hand, doing the same with CrossOver (the trial version) didnít require all that hassle. What do you say about that?

Honestly, Iíve no issue using Wineskin Winery - as long as I find somewhere how to install RE2 Remake and MGS VÖ
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:28:01 PM by Atecheka »

Offline Gcenx

• Gamer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 07:03:49 AM »
CrossOver just like PortingKit will install needed dependancies for the application/game that was selected.

Both CrossOver and PortingKit both have scripts that install the game/application and "should" work.

Wineskin Winery/Unofficial Wineskin Winery on the other hand is just used to create blank wrappers using a selected wine version where you installed what you want into it.

CrossOver uses a fixed version of wine with install scripts.
PortingKit on the other hand takes advantage of Wineskin's ability to use different wine versions to work around regressions unlike CrossOver.

Newer games won't currently function on macOS wine for multiple reasons
  • Older OpenGL
  • No native Vulkan
Currently MoltenVK is being worked on but still does not currently support the needed Vulkan extensions for running DXVK or VKD3D, that means no DirectX11/DirectX10 64Bit games (DXVK) or DirectX12 64Bit games (VKD3D)

Currently if you want to play any newer games that do not support DirectX9 or an older version of OpenGL then your going to be using bootcamp to play the game within Windows. (Not Linux on a mac since it seldom works fully with the hardware)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:38:57 AM by Gcenx »

Offline Atecheka

• Gamer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:28:20 PM »
Hi Gcenx,

Thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation, the matter is a lot clearer to me now.

If I got you correctly, then neither MGS V nor RE2 Remake would work with Wineskin Winery and CrossOver, right?

Offline Gcenx

• Gamer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 01:41:41 AM »
Hi Gcenx,

Thanks a lot for the very detailed explanation, the matter is a lot clearer to me now.

If I got you correctly, then neither MGS V nor RE2 Remake would work with Wineskin Winery and CrossOver, right?

That's correct.

To play new games the easy option is bootcamp.

Offline Atecheka

• Gamer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 09:24:15 PM »
Understood. I'll try out Bootcamp then, never did before because I was afraid of messing up my Mac.

I might end up off topic with my next question, but do you think the two games I've mentioned would run fine through Bootcamp on my notebook (see attached screenshot)?