Author Topic: Soldiers: Heroes of World War II EXE Grayed out  (Read 70 times)

hafnz

Soldiers: Heroes of World War II EXE Grayed out
« on: January 19, 2019, 12:15:06 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm having trouble when trying to install the game Soldiers.

I've bought the game from GOG, downloaded the 1.5gb file, it's sitting in my Downloads folder, the Portking installation starts yet at some point it requests the installation file (which I gather is the Soldiers exe installation file). Sadly the popup window where I'm supposed to select the file doesn't allow me to choose the one I've downloaded.

While using the search function of the forum I came accross another post, from another game, that was describing the same issue and it was solved by changing the filename of the exe.

I also noticed this message in Soldier's GOG page change log:
Internal Update (30 March 2018)
[WIN] updated internal installer structure, no changes to game files

I'm guessing this could well be indeed the issue, Portking is asking for a file that has now changed name.
So the question is: what's the magical filename? How do I find out?

Thanks!

hafnz

Re: Soldiers: Heroes of World War II EXE Grayed out
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 02:05:06 PM »
Replying to my own thread question, with a followup question.

I managed to install Soldiers, the latest Portking allows to chose an installer with a different name of the "original" one used when it was first ported.
Installed fine, yet when I start it I get a pop up window inside the game's splash screen stating:

Cannot change resolution (code -2)
(edevicescreen.cpp, 218)

I'm on a Macbook Pro 13" Early 2015 2.7ghz Intel Core i5 with an Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1.5gb.
I'm thinking that the issue it probably with the Intel Iris and that I probably won't ever get to play this on my Mac... Am I right?

Thanks!

Offline paulthetall

• Administrator
  • Master Porter
    • paulthetall.com / Portingkit.com
Re: Soldiers: Heroes of World War II EXE Grayed out
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 06:44:23 AM »
Its bin a while I looked in that port. It looks like the setup file name has been changed for certain through time so although it has already in general a workaround i will check that. Second issue I need to look into. Most likely they update that game which caused this specific issue. I put it on my todo list.