Author Topic: Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas - Game will not launch in Steam  (Read 55 times)

Offline Boongadoonga

Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas - Game will not launch in Steam
« on: November 30, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I downloaded the ports for both Fallout 3 goty and New Vegas (Steam), and have run into the same problem with both of them: they seem to launch at first, but as soon as I click "play" in the first small window, the screen cuts to black and stays that way. I can move the mouse, but am otherwise stuck, and have to force quit, taking me back to Windows Steam.

I checked my computer specifications through Porting Kit, and everything looks normal. It's reading my video card just fine.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the ports several times, and tried different resolutions and ratios under "options" in the game windows. Made sure the quality was set to low too.

In Wineskin, I tried pretty much anything i could think of. Tried disabling the Mac driver and using X11, toggled the options for "decorate windows" and "autodetect GPU info," and overrode wine control of screen settings to mess with those. I also tried to update Winetricks, and experimented with telling wine that my video card had different amounts of ram. I even tried switching between some older engines from Wineskin Winery (default for these ports is WS9Wine2.12Steam). Now, honestly I have no idea how any of wineskin works, so this was all just me being desperate, but I tried to be analytical about it. Every time I changed something, I tried to run the games, and when they didn't work, I changed the wineskin settings back to the way they were before changing something else.

Could it be my OS? I've seen people talk about having issues with Wineskin in High Sierra. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jglavoie

Re: Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas - Game will not launch in Steam
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 01:25:26 PM »
I am in the same situation. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I followed the instructions on the Porting Kit, I have an actual legally purchaced Steam version of the game. What’s going on?

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas - Game will not launch in Steam
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 03:09:17 PM »
Just updated the FNV wrapper. Could please check if it's working now? If it's, I will add the same fix to F3.