Author Topic: MacOS 10.14.1 - Skyrim wrapper no longer working  (Read 143 times)

Offline etoilesdansciel

MacOS 10.14.1 - Skyrim wrapper no longer working
« on: November 10, 2018, 05:42:51 AM »
Hi!

I'm new-ish to Porting Kit (found it this summer, yaaaay!) and everything was working really well until my iMac autoupdated to 10.14.1 Mojave on Wednesday night and suddenly I can't launch Skyrim in PK anymore.

It gets as far as launching the little black window (screenshot attached) but the game never goes full screen and is completely unresponsive. It's just stuck here and won't do anything else.

I've done a completely fresh install of PK, Steam, and the Skyrim game inside the wrapper, as well as restarted numerous times, fixed my iMac's disk permissions, and tried to debug the PK wrapper. Nothing seems to work.

Please help, playing Skyrim has basically been serving as a great deal of stress relief for me lately and I really needed to play today. :(

UPDATE: I tried to play on my Macbook to see if the error was replicated, and it was - I can't play ported Skyrim there either and it does the same thing. So now I'm thinking this might be a Steam issue and not necessarily a PK issue. :/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:37:39 PM by etoilesdansciel »

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: MacOS 10.14.1 - Skyrim wrapper no longer working
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 04:42:55 PM »
Could you please send us the output of the port debug?

Offline rurik01

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »
Iím having exactly the same issue!

Iíve also done a complete reinstall of PK, Steam, and Skyrim (multiple times for all three).  Iíve also spent hours going through forums and trying various setting and patches to no effect.

It may be worth noting that my initial install worked without any tweaking or config changes straight ďout of the boxĒ, but that ended on Wednesday night; I now get the same small black window and a completely unresponsive game just like the person posing above.

Iíve completely wiped all of my attempts and am sitting with a fresh, clean install once again.  Iím new to PK and somewhat new to wine, but I know how to follow instructions.  Tell me what debug info is needed and where to find it and Iíll see what I can come up with.

I may be a bit slow responding this weekend though as I will be beyond cel and data range from Sunday morning until Monday night.

Edit:  I did spot one difference between my issue and the one above.  Our symptoms and timing are identical but I'm running 10.12.6 Sierra and not Mojave.  Other than that, I get the same unresponsive black window and the issue started Wednesday night.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:57:19 PM by rurik01 »

Offline etoilesdansciel

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
Could you please send us the output of the port debug?

Both of my debug logs attached here. (Hopefully I did this right, please let me know if I didn't.)

mero5

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 08:16:18 AM »
Having the same exact issue as well. Game was working perfectly fine until today, and haven't made any updates to my Mac.

Malkhut

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
Hi. I have exactly the same issue, with os 10.13.6. The game ran smoothly until Wednesday. Tried the same as mentioned above, reinstalling the wrapper from scratch several times ; tried another wrapper... Nothing worked  :( I think it's a Steam-related issue, after an update released on Tuesday. (sorry for my poor english...)

Offline etoilesdansciel

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 05:16:57 AM »
Well, at least I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Marthe

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 12:13:05 PM »
I'm having the same problem! On mine it just won't connect to the steam network through the wrapper, it seems..
And I also really needed Skyrim as a stress reliever today :'( 

Please let me know if any of you figure out a way solve the problem! I would be eternally grateful!

Offline Lookus

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 08:56:31 PM »
Same here! And steam has a banner message at the top reading "Steam will stop running on Windows 2003 in 48 days." So the wrapper probably will need an update soon anyway...

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Offline etoilesdansciel

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 04:33:36 AM »
Confirmed: not just porters having this problem. Seems like Steam broke non-SE Skyrim last Wednesday for the PC users as well:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/2479690531123321828/

And Bethesda updated their support base with this article on November 7th, but I don't think we can run the game as administrators through PK:

https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/36495/kw/~any~
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:59:04 AM by etoilesdansciel »

Malkhut

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 05:37:31 PM »
No need to run the game as administrator in a wineskin port (like PK), it is the mode by default : "As far as Windows programs are concerned, you are running with administrator privileges. If an application complains about a lack of administrator privileges, file a bug; running Wine as root probably won't help" (https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Should_I_run_Wine_as_root.3F).