Author Topic: Cannot install any game  (Read 254 times)

Goodfontana

Cannot install any game
« on: June 26, 2016, 01:49:32 PM »
Hi all,

I have downloaded PortkinKit expecting to play some games in my Mac such as C&C 3: Tiberium Wars and Anno 1404.

First issue is that the tutorial by Paulthetall shows a very different PortingKit layout than the one I have and I cannot follow it. For instance, when choosing a game I do not see any "download" button, but a "Install" one instead. I clicked it but everytime before completing, it crashes.

However, I have been able somehow to make appear in my local library the C&C 3, that I have already purchased in Origin, but the problem is that now when I click Play it simply does nothing.

I have also seen in the tutorial that a file named "msxml3" is required to make games work, but I am supposed to copy it into a folder that appears automatically, but in my case it doesn't.

I do not know what else to do. I'm running Mac version 10.7.5, does anyone maybe have a tip of what I could do?

Thanks a lot

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: Cannot install any game
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
First issue is that the tutorial by Paulthetall shows a very different PortingKit layout than the one I have and I cannot follow it. For instance, when choosing a game I do not see any "download" button, but a "Install" one instead.

The button name was changed because 'Install' is easier to understand than Download. The PaulTheTall.com video will be updated very soon.

I clicked it but everytime before completing, it crashes.

Considering that you are using the Legacy version (since the regular PK only works with OS X 10.8+) that may be a bug that was already solved. The Legacy version is harder to make, so it receives updates less regularly. I should update it in the next stable release, as usual.

However, I have been able somehow to make appear in my local library the C&C 3, that I have already purchased in Origin, but the problem is that now when I click Play it simply does nothing.

Could you please perform a Debug? The Debug button can be found with a right click in the game icon on PK or by clicking in the More button.

I have also seen in the tutorial that a file named "msxml3" is required to make games work, but I am supposed to copy it into a folder that appears automatically, but in my case it doesn't.

Don't worry, that doesn't apply to PK since 1.5.24, when we uploaded the msxml3 file to our server, so PK is able to download that file by itself.

I do not know what else to do. I'm running Mac version 10.7.5, does anyone maybe have a tip of what I could do?

Thanks a lot

The latest PK (2.2.54) haven't produced any crash log until now (it has been 3 days since the release), so it probably is really stable. I should be able to release the Legacy version in the next Friday (July 1st), but in case you have some urgency I can manage to do it tonight.

Goodfontana

Re: Cannot install any game
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »
Hi vitormm

Thank you very much for your response and apologies for the delay, I've been on a business trip.

I have performed the debug, then delete the game and then reinstalled it. This time it all worked well, unfortunately I've found out too late that the game is not compatible with my graphic card  :(

However, I have been able to finally install other games, so whatever you did worked!

Thanks again very much for your time!