Author Topic: My experience with Steambuild 2 so far  (Read 180 times)

Offline Impulse-810

• Whose got the shemp?
My experience with Steambuild 2 so far
« on: August 01, 2016, 08:19:44 PM »
Mac: Maverick 10.9 laptop.
Graphics Card: Intel Iris 1536 MB.

1. Deus Ex: GOTY seems to play, but not play perfectly.
Shift-Tab doesn’t appear to work.
Nothing is wrong with the environment, textures, or other visuals. Soundtracks play fine. But for some reason, the movement speed for everything in-game is drastically faster than it should be. I’ve played it on PC to know that the movement speed is not as it should be.
The same could be said for the dialogue situations when characters talk. They don’t have enough time to finish their lines until the game cuts them off for whatever reason.
EDIT: This is when I chose the first “Direct3D Support” option on the “Deus Ex Video Configuration” window upon first starting the game. The game becomes much more playable with the lessened speeds when I chose the “Software Rendering” option instead. In-game objects became more glitchy with missing portions of certain parts, but the game became substantially more playable.
-Deus Ex 2: Invisible War barely works. Loading screens are glitchy and trying to Quick Load turns the game to a black screen that doesn’t appear to load.

2. Thief: Gold, Thief 2, and Thief 3: Deadly Shadows refuse to play, for whatever reason. Cannot play the Training level, cannot play the core game. It just sends me back to my Steam library. Even checking the credits is a no-go.

3. System Shock: Enhanced Edition seems to work perfectly, actually. No cuts in the dialogue, no drastically fast movement. Good so far.

4. Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures plays fine. Just not on a keyboard. A controller is a must for this harsh mistress of a game, but I think that’s a given.

5. The original Fallout works fine.

6. The original Quake is fine. Mostly. Soundtracks don’t play, though that’s more a Steam issue than a Steambuild 2 issue.
-Quake 2 works fine.
-Quake 3: Arena, which is super fun, works wonderfully (My favorite character is Sorlag).

7. Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind works mostly fine. There are random points during combat where the game crashes, turns to a black screen, and goes back to the Steam Library, but otherwise, no other noteworthy issues with performance.
-Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion works moderately fine, but there are a LOT of graphical glitches in the game. Each  character’s hair, their faces, the environment, even the pause menu is ripe with constant graphical issues.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:42:04 AM by Impulse-810 »

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Master Porter
Re: My experience with Steambuid 2 so far
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »
Added your successful results to the Requests List user tests :)

However, I must advise: running Fallout and Quake on a Steambuild 2 is like killing a rabbit with a bazooka. A Steambuild install many dependencies, and is usually recommended for newest and more advanced games. In order to install these two games I would recommend to create a custom port with Steam installed, using CrossOver (or Wine) latest engine. That will probably work and won't occupy much space ;)

Offline Impulse-810

• Whose got the shemp?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »

However, I must advise: running Fallout and Quake on a Steambuild 2 is like killing a rabbit with a bazooka. A Steambuild install many dependencies, and is usually recommended for newest and more advanced games. In order to install these two games I would recommend to create a custom port with Steam installed, using CrossOver (or Wine) latest engine. That will probably work and won't occupy much space ;)

Do you mean that playing older games with Steambuild 2 and newer hardware causes unstable results with the games? I played Fallout and Quake for a while and they both seem to run smoothly as they are.
I’m just a bit confused about Deus Ex’s oddities as well as why none of the Thief games are actually playable.

Offline Brainzyy

• Global Moderator
  • Porter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 04:53:05 PM »

Do you mean that playing older games with Steambuild 2 and newer hardware causes unstable results with the games? I played Fallout and Quake for a while and they both seem to run smoothly as they are.
I’m just a bit confused about Deus Ex’s oddities as well as why none of the Thief games are actually playable.

He means you are using a port that is way too big than necessary. It could create false results because steambuild includes winetricks that aren't exactly necessary. 

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Master Porter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 05:08:40 PM »
That's exactly what Brainzyy said.

Also, different engines combined with different winetricks produce different results; that's why some games are ported and others not, we need to find the correct combination ;)

Offline Impulse-810

• Whose got the shemp?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »

He means you are using a port that is way too big than necessary. It could create false results because steambuild includes winetricks that aren't exactly necessary.

Oh. So for a Mac Maverick 10.9 laptop, I would want something lower like Steambuild 1?
EDIT: Hmm. Even Steambuild 1 refuses to play Thief. Same with Steambuild 1-GLSL.
Wha…Somehow, Thief uninstalled itself from my computer. What? Steambuild 2 never did that. It just brought me back to my Library.
And Deus Ex is acting the same way as it did on Steambuild 2. Actually, it’s somehow worse with the dialogue cuts in “Software Renderer” than it ever was in 2.

As a side note, using “Shift-Tab” while playing a game on Steam apparently doesn’t work anymore.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 06:27:26 PM by Impulse-810 »

Offline Brainzyy

• Global Moderator
  • Porter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 06:57:03 PM »

Oh. So for a Mac Maverick 10.9 laptop, I would want something lower like Steambuild 1?
EDIT: Hmm. Even Steambuild 1 refuses to play Thief. Same with Steambuild 1-GLSL.
Wha…Somehow, Thief uninstalled itself from my computer. What? Steambuild 2 never did that. It just brought me back to my Library.
And Deus Ex is acting the same way as it did on Steambuild 2. Actually, it’s somehow worse with the dialogue cuts in “Software Renderer” than it ever was in 2.

As a side note, using “Shift-Tab” while playing a game on Steam apparently doesn’t work anymore.

No actually you would want a custom wrapper with steam installed inside of it, steambuild 1 still has a lot of winetricks you don't need that take up unnecessary space :p I'll try Thief for you
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:19:27 PM by vitormm »