Author Topic: PortingKit Hangs on "Creating Wine Prefix!  (Read 639 times)

Offline Fluxxo

PortingKit Hangs on "Creating Wine Prefix!
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:22:01 PM »
Hi there,

just moved to a 2018 MBP and wanted to install Portingkit and use it for some olderish legacy app for windows.
On my 2016 MBP no problems the whole time - creating a "New Custom Port" with WS9WineStaging64Bit3.9 gets stuck on "Creating Wine prefix". No matter how long I wait, it won't finish.

Any tricks, debug logs I can look at to support?

Best, Fluxxo

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
Re: PortingKit Hangs on "Creating Wine Prefix!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 11:13:02 PM »
Staging and 64 bit ports may be more unstable than regular ports. Considering that the port is for an old Windows app, I would recommend you another engine, like WS9Wine1.9.10.

We are working on a fix for that problem, but I can't promise when it's going to be released. If you want to use that engine, I recommend to wait about 2 minutes after the "Creating Wine prefix" step has started, and then press Tools -> Kill All Wineskin Processes in the main menu. It should work.

Simon

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:40:08 AM »
I'm having the same problem. Trying to Install C&C Red Alert. Worked before, but then stopped working. After uninstalling and reinstalling, it keeps stuck at "creating wine prefix". It started after an automatic software update of my computer (iMac late 2012 macOS Mojave 10.14.2), unclear what was updated.

Offline Gcenx

• Gamer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »
I'm having the same problem. Trying to Install C&C Red Alert. Worked before, but then stopped working. After uninstalling and reinstalling, it keeps stuck at "creating wine prefix". It started after an automatic software update of my computer (iMac late 2012 macOS Mojave 10.14.2), unclear what was updated.

Open "Porting Kit" click the title and select "Preferences..." now tick "Use Wineskin Unofficial Wrapper"
Then try making it again, it could be WineskinX11 is now even more broken on Mojave then it was before and that could be causing the wrapper to not get created.

Simon

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:21:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply Gcenx. I can't find the option "use wineskin unofficial wrapper", the only "preferences" menu is from the toolbar top left, but there one can only change basic porting kit settings.

Offline Gcenx

• Gamer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:14:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply Gcenx. I can't find the option "use wineskin unofficial wrapper", the only "preferences" menu is from the toolbar top left, but there one can only change basic porting kit settings.

Strange that checkbox is in the latest version unless your running the legacy version.
If your not using the legacy version of PortingKit then have t check for updates and install it.

salrem

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »
Having the same problem here. Can't install AeE22, nor any steam build.

Anything I try to install hangs on the prefix stage. Some googling really points towards it being a bug, and a 32bit only Wine seems to fix it. However, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to install a custom 32 bit engine!

Has anyone found a clear solution by any chance?

Offline Gcenx

• Gamer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 03:23:01 AM »
Having the same problem here. Can't install AeE22, nor any steam build.

Anything I try to install hangs on the prefix stage. Some googling really points towards it being a bug, and a 32bit only Wine seems to fix it. However, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to install a custom 32 bit engine!

Has anyone found a clear solution by any chance?

Are you by chance running Mojave?

salrem

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 01:40:00 PM »
@Gcenx:

macOS Mojave version 10.14.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
Memory: 16 HB LPDDR3
Graphics:  Radeon Pro 455 (PCIe)

Installed:
- Wine Stable 4.0 + XQuartz-2.7.7
- Wineskin Winery
- Porting Kit version 2.9.596 + Checked "use Wineskin unofficial wrapper"

Games working:
- Frantasy Grounds (installed outside of porting kit with wineskin)

Games working through Parrallels VM emulation Windows 10
- AoE2 HD

Cannot install through Porting Kit:
- Any Steam wrappers from the server
- Naturally: Age of Empires 2 HD

Problem: Always get's stuck during the creating prefix phase

I'm aware it has something to do with Mojave and the drop of 32 bit support. However I am unable to fix / change this within porting kit.

Cheers,

Offline Gcenx

• Gamer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 12:53:10 AM »
@Gcenx:

macOS Mojave version 10.14.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
Memory: 16 HB LPDDR3
Graphics:  Radeon Pro 455 (PCIe)

Installed:
- Wine Stable 4.0 + XQuartz-2.7.7
- Wineskin Winery
- Porting Kit version 2.9.596 + Checked "use Wineskin unofficial wrapper"

Games working:
- Frantasy Grounds (installed outside of porting kit with wineskin)

Games working through Parrallels VM emulation Windows 10
- AoE2 HD

Cannot install through Porting Kit:
- Any Steam wrappers from the server
- Naturally: Age of Empires 2 HD

Problem: Always get's stuck during the creating prefix phase

I'm aware it has something to do with Mojave and the drop of 32 bit support. However I am unable to fix / change this within porting kit.

Cheers,

Strange that you're able to use Wineskin yet not PortingKit to make a wrapper since PortingKit uses Wineskins wrapper, it may be a permission problem for the temp location that PortingKit is using.

The issues with Mojave is the increased security not the lack of 32bit support, the lack of 32bit support is coming in the next macOS release.

For the moment you could instead install Unofficial Wineskin that will give you access to newer wine versions that PortingKit is using (minus their custom engines) and if you use WS10WineCX18.1.0 you will be able to install Steam and download items without problem including accessing the Steam Store, if you don't need the Steam store then install Steam using Winetricks to allow downloading to function.

Using Unofficial Wineskin will be mostly like using Official Wineskin in you need to do all configurations yourself where PortingKit would usually handle of the details.
Unofficial Wineskin does not include WineskinX11 but you listed already having XQuartz installed so no loss.

Offline vitormm

• Developer
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Porter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 10:10:02 PM »
@salrem, did you installed Frantasy Grounds by yourself or you downloaded the wrapper from a website, like the Porting Team?